The Association of Manitoba Book Publishers (AMBP) seeks a freelance Managing Editor for its publicationPrairie books NOW.
About Prairie books NOW (PbN)
PbN is a populist widely-read publication promoting Prairie books, publishers, and authors, and is published by the AMBP two times each year. Copies are sent to book buyers and are available free of charge in about 90 communities in the Prairies, including bookstores and libraries. PbN is a valuable catalogue for book buyers, and offers plenty to read about the best and the newest Prairie titles. In addition to its print editions, the publication is planning to develop an increased web and social media presence. Issue release dates are May 15and October 1.
Reporting to the AMBP Executive Director and providing assistance and support to the oversight committee, the PbN Managing Editor is responsible for co-ordinating the development and on-time release of each issue and for developing and overseeing PbN’s online and social media presence. The PbN Managing Editor will:
- Copy edit stories (ensuring they conform to the Canadian Press style guide) and prepare headlines/sub-headlines/pull-quotes
- Prepare table of contents, book ends and cover copy
- Work co-operatively with the publication’s editor
- Follow up with advertisers
- Follow up with publishers for cover images and author photos
- Supply formatted content to the designer and coordinate the production of the issue with the designer
- Ensure that the advertisements, sidebars and editorial content work together and are appropriately ordered to create a professional, attractive publication
- Coordinate the proofreading and printing of the issue
- Assist with distribution planning and updating
- Participate in or contribute to drafting grant applications and reports
- Oversee PbN’s social media activities
- Oversee its web presence, including site development and updating
- Other relevant duties as assigned
Skills & Qualifications:
Excellent communication, editing and writing skills
Project management experience required
Must be able to meet deadlines
Web site updating and social media skills required
Must be able to work efficiently and effectively both independently and as part of a team
Must demonstrate professionalism
A background in communications and/or marketing
Bilingualism (English/French) is an asset
This is a part-time freelance position. The Managing Editor will work from home and must provide their own computer and software. The Managing Editor will be paid $12,000 per year.
Start Date: August 2018
Please apply in writing by May 31, 2018
Prairie books NOW hiring committee
404-100 Arthur St. Winnipeg, MB R3B 1H3
Or email: [email protected]
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.